Hello guys, if you are wondering how to upload file and download files from a Spring MVC application then you have come to the right place. This is an important functionality for any real-world application and knowing how to upload a file in a Spring application is important for professional Java developers and that's what you will learn in this Spring MVC tutorial. Earlier, I have shared several Spring Boot tutorial like Spring Boot + Microservices, and Spring Boot + REST and even how to upload files using Servlet and JSP using Apache Commons FileUpload library and In this tutorial, we are going to discuss how to upload and download files using Spring MVC.
In general, spring makes common development tasks easier by providing out-of-box implementation so I expect this would be easier than before, so let's find out and that's why every Java developer should learn Spring Framework.
It's not only required for more of Java development but also its one of the essential skill for many Java development roles. In the past, I have also shared the best Spring courses and books for Java developers. If you have just started learning the Spring framework or want to learn Spring in-depth, you can also take a look at those resources.
How to upload/download Files on Spring Web Applications?
This file upload is a very common task in any web application and this allows to have a good interaction with users with giving an opportunity to upload/download photos, files, and other materials through the web.
So in this article, we are focusing on what Spring offers for multipart support in web applications. So will discuss the MultipartResolver implementation for use with Apache Commons Fileupload.
1. Add CommonsMultipartResolver Dependency to your spring project
This MultipartResolver resolver variation delegated to the application's local FileUpload library, allowing for optimal portability between Servlet containers. Will see how to add the dependency to our spring application.
We will use the FileNameUtils class in commons-io to normalize the file name of the uploaded file.
- How Spring MVC works internally? (answer)
- Spring Boot + ThyMyleaf project example (example)
- Difference between @Autowired and @Inject in Spring? (answer)
- Spring Data JPA Repository (JpaReposistory example)
- 5 Courses to learn Spring Cloud for Microservices (courses)
- 10 Spring MVC annotations Java developer should learn (annotations)
- Spring Data JPA @Query Example (query example)
- 5 Courses to Learn Spring Security for Java programmers (courses)
- Top 5 Spring Boot Annotations Java Developers should know (read)
- 20+ Spring MVC Interview Questions for Programmers (answer)
- Top 5 Frameworks Java Developer Should Know (frameworks)
- 10 Advanced Spring Boot Courses for Java developers (courses)
- Difference between @RequestParam and @PathVariable in Spring (answer)
- Top 7 Courses to learn Microservices in Java (courses)
- @SpringBootApplication vs @EnableAutoConfiguration? (answer)
- 15 Spring Boot Interview Questions for Java Developers (questions)
- Top 5 Courses to Learn and Master Spring Cloud (courses)
- Top 5 Spring Cloud annotations Java programmer should learn (cloud)
- Difference between @Component, @Service, and @Controller in Spring (answer)
P. S. - If you are a Java beginner and want to learn the Spring MVC from scratch, and looking for some best online resources then you can also check out these best Spring MVC courses for beginners. This list contains free Udemy and Pluralsight courses to learn Spring MVC from scratch.